History of the Archiving Development in the North Caucasus Region: 17th – Early 20th Century

Print PDF

УДК 94(470.6)+930.25

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2017-4-10-22

Elena G. Muratova

Kabardino-Balkarian State University, Nalchik, Russian Federation

History of the Archiving Development in the North Caucasus Region: 17th – Early 20th Century

Abstract

The article summarizes results of the historiographic research of the archiving development in the Caucasus region in the 17th - early 20th century. It shows that the archives history of the North Caucasus region is connected to the colonization process and emergence of the Russian administration in the region. In the second half of 19th - early 20th century sorting and systematization of extant archival collections on the long process of affiliation between the Caucasus and Russia were performed by individual historians, as well as by special commissions and institutions. Thanks to the work of historians P. I. Khitsunov, A. P. Berzhe, P. K. Uslar, A. S. Sobrievski, N. A. Volkonski, I. V. Bentkovski, G. I. Prozritelev, and scientists from the military department, the first descriptions of the Caucasus archives appeared in the second half of the 20th century. Documents in these collections described, most important archival sources were published. For subsequent studies, methodological approach of V. S. Ikonnikov was of particular significance. Data on place of storage, collection, and publication of historical sources, as well as information on historical institutions and government activities in the field of recovery and preservation of historic heritage, was to be included in historiographic reviews. This fundamental approach laid the groundwork for modern national historiography of the archiving development in the Caucasus. Works of E. N. Kusheva, V. G. Gadzhiev, L. M. Parova, M. E. Kolesnikova, V. G. Tsogoev, N. I. Nesmachnaya, A. T. Urushadze, T. A. Koloskovskaya et al. study various aspects of the topic and common approaches to studying the history of the Caucasus archives and archeography. Apparently, characterization of the modern historiographic discourse on the issues of archiving history in the Caucasus region prior to the 20th century is of great significance for historical science and education. Not only does it promote formation of a holistic view of the sources on the North Caucasus history and methods for studying and using them in historical research, it also helps to identify promising trends in historical study of the Caucasus.

Download the article: muratova_doi

Keywords

Archives, archival sources, source study, North Caucasus, 17th-19th centuries, historiography, archeography.

References

GADZHIEV, V. G. Arkhiv Kizlyarskogo komendanta [Archive of the Kizlyar Commandant. In Russ.]. IN: Izvestiya Severo-Kavkazskogo nauchnogo tsentra vysshei shkoly. Obshchestvennye nauki [Bulletin of the North Caucasus Scientific Center for Higher Education. Social studies], 1978, no. 2, pp. 6–11.

IKONNIKOV, V. S. Opyt russkoi istoriografii. T.1. Kn. 1 [Experience of the Russian historiography. In 2 vol. Vol.1. Book 1. In Russ.]. Kiev, 1891, 882 p.

KOLESNIKOVA, M. E. Severokavkazskaya istoriograficheskaya traditsiya: vtoraya polovina XVIII - nachalo XX veka. [North Caucasian historiographic tradition: Second half of the 18th - early 20th century. In. Russ.]. Stavropol, SGU publ., 2011, 524 p.

KOLOSOVSKAYA, T. A. K voprosu ob arkheografii voennoi istorii Kavkaza. Po materialam deyatel'nosti D.Kh. Bushena [Revisiting archaeography of military history of the Caucasus: A case-study of D.C. Bushen’s activities. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista – Herald of an Archivist, 2015, no. 4, pp. 19–30.

KUSHEVA, E. N. Severnyi Kavkaz i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya XVI–XVII vv. (obzor materialov russkikh arkhivov) [The North Caucasus in international relations of the 16th -17th century. (Review of Russian archives materials). In Russ.]. IN: Istoricheskii zhurnal, 1943, no. 1, pp. 6-68.

LOGACHEVA, A. V. Fond Stavropol'skoi uchenoi arkhivnoi komissii v gosudarstvennom arkhive Stavropol'skogo kraya [Fond of the Stavropol Scientific Archival Commission in the State Archive of the Stavropol Krai. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik Stavropol'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2010, no. 2 (67), pp. 53–58.

“Nebrezhnoe otnoshenie k arkhivam – priznak nevysokogo umstvennogo urovnya obshchestva”. Zapiska podporuchika I.O. Shantyra ob arkhive voennogo vedomstva v gorode Stavropole (1875 g.) [‘Negligence towards archives is a sign of low intelligence of the society.’ Lieutenant I. O. Shantir’ note on the archive of the military department in Stavropol (1875). In Russ.]. IN: Otechestvennye arkhivy, 2003, no. 2, pp. 59–86.

NESMACHNAYA, S. I. Pervoe izdanie arkhivnykh dokumentov na Kavkaze [The first publication of archival documents in the Caucasus. In Russ.]. IN: Kavkazskii sbornik. T. 2 (34) [The Caucasian collection. Vol. 2 (34). In Russ.]. Moscow, 2005. pp. 350-361.

PAROVA, L. M. Iz istorii arkheograficheskoi deyatel'nosti Voenno-istoricheskogo otdela shtaba kavkazskogo voennogo okruga [From the history of the archaeographic activities of the Military Historical Division of the Staff of the Caucasian Military District. In Russ.]. IN: Sovetskie arkhivy, 1985, no. 6, pp. 38–40.

URUSHADZE, A. T. “Vorontsovskii Kavkaz”: korpus istochnikov i ego vozmozhnosti. [‘Vorontsov's Caucasus’: Source corps and its potential. In Russ.]. IN: Russkii arkhiv, 2013, no. 2, pp. 48–51.

TSOGOEV, V. G. Arkhivnoe delo v Terskoi oblasti v 1860-1917gg. [Archival work in the Terek region in 1860-1917. In Russ.]. IN: Otechestvennye arkhivy, 2003, no. 2, pp. 15–23.

About author

Muratova Elena Georgievna, PhD in History, professor, Kabardino-Balkarian State University, head of the Russian history department, Nalchik, Russian Federation, +7-928-703-90-79, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 5.07.2017, published:

Muratova, E. G. Istoriya stanovleniya arkhivnogo dela na Severnom Kavkaze. XVII–nachalo XX v. [History of the archiving development in the North Caucasus region: 17th – early 20th century. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista – Herald of an Archivist, 2017, no. 4, pp. 10-22.

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.