Archival Sources on the History of Relationship of Power and Society in the Field of Protection of Nature in Russia: 1917-1991

Print PDF

УДК 94(47) + 502.1

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-2-384-397

Ekaterina D. Makeeva

Samara State University of Social Sciences and Education, Samara, Russian Federation

Archival Sources on the History of Relationship of Power and Society in the Field of Protection of Nature in Russia: 1917-1991

Abstract

The article reviews a complex of archival sources on the history of relations of power and society in the nature preservation sphere in the Soviet era. Evolution of the relationship is a subject of ecological history, a research area closely connected with history of mankind and much influenced by global and local natural elements. In the Russian scholarship, studying relations between authorities and public nature protection movement dates back to 1990s, but within the confines of national regions (i.e., the Upper and the Lower Volga regions) the issue remains virtually unstudied. The main source is archival documents on various aspects of Russian ecological history. The author has identified relevant fonds with documents on protection of nature in two federal and eleven regional archives. She has analyzed the sources on the changing relations of power and society in the sphere of nature protection from 1917 to 1991. Of greatest information value are fonds of the Russian State Archive of Economy, the All-Russian Society of Nature Preservation, the State Archive of the Russian Federation and some regional archives. Archival documents have been distorted by censorship to a lesser degree than other sources and describe events and processes in Soviet era nation preservation more or less objectively, be it nationwide or at regional level. Their introduction into scientific use might promote further development of ecological history, which is still a new scientific discipline.

Keywords

Historical sources, archival documents, power and society, nature preservation, natural resource management, ecological history, Upper and Lower Volga region.

Download the article: makeeva_doi

References

BULGAKOV, M. B., YAMBULGANOV, A. A. Rossiiskoe prirodookhrannoe zakonodatel'stvo XI – nach. XX vv. [The Russian nature protection legislation of the 11th – early 20th century. In Russ.]. Moscow, Legat publ., 1997, 83 p.

GOLOLOBOV, E. I., DURNOVTSEV, V. I. Ekologicheskaya istoriya Severa Zapadnoi Sibiri (1917-1991 gg.): issledovatel'skii potentsial arhivnykh istochnikov [Environmental History of the North of Western Siberia (1917–1991): Research Potential of Archival Sources. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista, 2017, no. 2, pp. 87-101.

EVLANOV, V. V. Ekologicheskaya problema v SSSR. Poisk putei ee resheniya (50-e – pervaya polovina 80-h godov). Diss… doktora ist. nauk [Environmental problem in the USSR. Searching for solution (50s-the first half of 80s): Dr. hist. sci. diss. In Russ.]. Moscow, 1995, 369 p.

KALIMULLIN, A. M. Istoricheskoe issledovanie regional’nykh ekologicheskikh problem: Monografiya [Historical research of regional ecological problems: A monograph. In Russ.]. Moscow, Prometei publ., 2006, 368 p.

MAKEEVA, E. D. Stanovlenie i razvitie prirodookhrannogo i ehkologicheskogo dvizheniya v Samarskoi oblasti. Diss… kand. ist. nauk [Formation and development of nature protection and ecological movement in the Samara region: Cand. hist. sci. diss. In Russ.]. Samara, 2002, 238 p.

RAKHILIN, V. K. Obshchestvo i zhivaya priroda: Kratkii ocherk istorii vzaimodeistviya [Society and wildlife: A short essay on the history of their interaction. In Russ.]. Moscow, Nauka publ., 1989, 213 p.

SOKOLOV, V. V. Istoriya ekologicheskoj politiki v Rossijskoj Federatsii (1920–1930-e gody). Diss… doktora ist. nauk [History of an ecological policy in the Russian Federation (1920-1930s years): Dr. hist. sci. diss. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, 1995, 330 p.

About the author

Makeeva Ekaterina Dmitrievna, PhD in History, associate professor, Samara State University of Social Sciences and Education, assistant professor, Samara, Russian Federation, +7-903-300-40-94, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 7.11.2018, published (for citation):

MAKEEVA, E. D. Arkhivnye istochniki po istorii vzaimootnoshenii vlasti i obshchestva v Rossii v sfere okhrany prirody. 1917-1991 gg. [Archival Sources on the History of Relationship of Power and Society in the Field of Protection of Nature in Russia: 1917-1991. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2019, no. 2, pp. 384-397. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-2-384-397

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.