Leaders of the 1917 Revolution in Perception of the Contemporaries and Archetypes of Mass Consciousness: Concerning the Publication of M. V. Bryantsev’s Monograph

Print PDF

УДК 930.1(47)«1920»+94(47)+049.32

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-4-1246-1256

N. G. Karnishina, V. Yu. Karnishin

Penza State University, Penza, Russian Federation

Leaders of the 1917 Revolution in Perception of the Contemporaries and Archetypes of Mass Consciousness: Concerning the Publication of M. V. Bryantsev’s Monograph

Abstract

The review of the monograph of the Russian historian M.V. Bryantsev “Lenin and his successors: Essays on ideas of the 1920s Soviet people” (Bryansk, Novyi proekt publ., 2018, 120 p.) reviews specific issues of studying ideas of the Soviet periphery on the leaders of the 1917 revolution. The author has introduced into scientific use a wide array of documents from central and regional archives of Russia and the Republic of Belarus in order to study views of contemporaries of the 1920s events on the struggle for power and on the role of the individual in political history. The author points out prospects of further research into the influence of ideological structures of the ruling party over mass consciousness. He argues the need for a closer study of regional features of political environment, in which the political preferences of various social groups were formed. The authors of the review conclude that M.V. Bryantsev monograph demonstrates close attention to studying ideas of the people from the Russian periphery; it draws on fonds of the Russian State Archive of Economy, as well as state archives of the Bryansk, Orel, Smolensk, Kaluga regions and the State Archive of Public Organizations of the Gomel Region (Belarus). The authors of the review note that, while information potential of regional archives remains mostly untapped, M.V. Bryantsev has seen its value and, having systematically studied the fonds of state agencies and public organizations, as well as personal provenance sources, he has prepared an insightful scientific work. They are sure that the monograph shall be eagerly sought by scholars and experts interested in controversial social and political processes that had determined the fate of the country in the 20th century.

Keywords

Soviet Russia of 1920s, revolution, political history, Bolshevik party, mass consciousness, V. I. Lenin, L. D. Trotsky. I. V. Stalin.

Download the article: karnishina_karnishin_doi

References

ANFERTIEV, I. A.; Osobennosti preodoleniya I. V. Stalinym krizisnoi situatsii v SSSR v nachale 1930-kh gg. [Peculiarity of J. V. Stalin overcoming of crisis situation in the USSR in the early 1930s. In Russ.]. IN: Rossiyskiye i slavyanskiye issledovaniya: nauch. sb. [SALKOV, А. P., YANOVSKII, O. A. (eds.). Russian and Slavic studies: Collected articles. In Russ.]. Issue 5. Minsk, BSU publ., 2010, pp. 177–182.

BRYANTSEV, M. V. Anglo-sovetskii konflikt 1927 goda v predstavlenii naseleniya sovetskoi provintsii [The Anglo-Soviet Conflict of 1927 in the Viewpoint of the Population of the Soviet Periphery. In Russ.]. IN: Noveishaya istoriya Rossii, 2017, no. 3 (20), pp. 100–114.

BRYANTSEV, M. V. Bor’ba za vlast’ vesnoi-osen’yu 1918 g. [The Struggle for Power in the Spring and Autumn of 1918. In Russ.]. IN: Pravo: istoriya, teoriya, praktika: sb. st. i materialov [Law: History, Theory, Practice: Collected Articles and Materials. In Russ.]. Bryansk, 2010, vol. 14, рp. 202–227.

BRYANTSEV, M. V. V. I. Lenin i nasledniki: Ocherki predstavlenii sovetskikh lyudei 1920-kh godov [Lenin and his successors: Essays on ideas of the 1920s Soviet people. In Russ.]. Bryansk, Novyi proekt, 2018, 120 p.

BRYANTSEV, M. V. Lenin posle smerti (predstavleniya naseleniya sovetskoi provintsii) [Lenin after his death: Viewpoint of the population of the Soviet periphery. In Russ.]. IN: Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Povolzhskii region. Gumanitarnye nauki, 2017, no. 2 (42), рр. 62–76.

BRYANTSEV, M. V. Obraz Trotskogo v informatsionnykh materialakh gosudarstvennogo arkhiva obshchestvennykh ob"yedinenii Gomel'skoi oblasti [The image of Trotsky in the information materials from the State Archive of Public Associations of the Gomel Region. In Russ.]. IN: Aktual'nye problemy istochnikovedeniya : materialy IV Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii k 420-letiyu darovaniya gorodu Vitebsku magdeburgskogo prava. Vitebsk, 20–21 aprelya 2017 [Significant problems of source studies: Proceedings of the IV International research-to-practice conference for the 420th anniversary of granting Magdeburg Law to the city of Vitebsk. Vitebsk, April 20–21, 2017. In Russ.]. Vitebsk, 2017, рр. 254–256.

BULDAKOV, V. P., MARCHENYA, P. P., RAZIN S. Yu. (eds.). Revolyutsiya i mifotvorchestvo: kollizii sovremennogo istoricheskogo voobrazheniya [Revolution and Myth-Making: Collisions of the Modern Historical Imagination. In Russ.]. IN: Rossiya i revolyutsiya: proshloye i nastoyashchee sistemnykh krizisov russkoi istorii: sbornik nauchnykh statei (k 95-letiyu Fevralya–Oktyabrya 1917 g.) [Russia and the Revolution: The Past and the Present of Systematic Crises of Russian History: Collected Scientific Articles (For the 95th Anniversary of February – October 1917). In Russ.]. Moscow: APR publ., 2012, рр. 61–62.

MITROKHIN, A. V. Ryazanskoe krest'yanstvo i voprosy bor'by s oppozitsiei v 1920-e gg. [Ryazan Peasantry and Issues of Fighting Opposition in the 1920s. In Russ.]. IN: Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya, 2012, no. 4, pp. 204–206.

TUMARKIN, N. Lenin zhiv: kul't Lenina v Sovetskoi Rossii [Lenin is alive: The cult of Lenin in Soviet Russia. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Akademicheskii proekt publ., 1997, 285 р.

Chelovek i lichnost' v istorii Rossii, konets XIX – XX vek: materialy mezhdunarodnogo kollokviuma. Sankt-Peterburg, 7–10 iyunya 2010 g. [Man and individual in the history of Russia, the late 19th – 20th century: Materials of the international colloquium. St. Petersburg, June 7–10, 2010. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Nestor-Istoriya publ., 2013, 657 р.

SHALAEVA, N. V. Formirovanie identichnosti v sovetskom sotsiokul'turnom prostranstve v sovetskom obshchestve 1920-kh gg. [Identity Formation in the Soviet Social and Cultural Space of the Soviet Society of the 1920s. In Russ.]. IN: Povolzhskii region. Problemy, poiski, resheniya [The Volga region: Problems, searches, solutions. In Russ.]. Saratov, Izd-vo SGSEU publ., 2008, рр. 26–31.

TUMARKIN, N. Religion, Bolshevism and the Origins of the Lenin Cult. IN: Russian Review, 1981, vol. 4, pp. 35–46.

About authors

Karnishina Natalia Gennadievna, PhD in History, professor, Penza State University, professor, Penza, Russian Federation, +7-987-512-95-02, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Karnishin Valery Yur'evich, PhD in History, professor, Penza State University, head of department, Penza, Russian Federation, +7-987-502-27-15, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 14.02.2019, published (for citation):

KARNISHINA, N. G., KARNISHIN, V. Yu. Vozhdi revolyutsii 1917 g. v vospriyatii sovremennikov i arkhetipakh massovogo soznaniya: k izdaniyu monografii M. V. Bryantseva [Leaders of the 1917 Revolution in Perception of the Contemporaries and Archetypes of Mass Consciousness: Concerning the Publication of M. V. Bryantsev’s Monograph. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2019, no. 4, pp. 1246-1256. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-4-1246-1256

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.