Customs Book of Veliky Novgorod for 1677/78 as a Historical Source

Print PDF

УДК 339.1

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-331-342

Alexei I. Razdorskii

National library of Russia, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation

Customs Book of Veliky Novgorod for 1677/78 as a Historical Source

Abstract

Customs books are the major mass source on the history of domestic and foreign trade of Russia in the 17th century. Then one of the most important national centers of trade was Veliky Novgorod. There are several Veliky Novgorod customs books stored in the archives of Moscow and Stockholm: for 1610/11, 1613/14, 1614/15, 1714. In 2019, the author got acquainted with the Novgorod customs book for 1677/78 from the Russian State Archive of Ancient Acts, no information on which has been cited in historical literature. This document was discovered by archeographer N. Ogloblin among the documents of the Siberian Prikaz in the mid-1890s, but was not included in the inventory of the Novgorod bureau of the Razryad and Siberian Prikazes published in late 19th century. The article presents a brief archaeographic description of the Novgorod customs book for 1677/78: its format, volume, binding. The article lists the names of officials responsible for collecting customs in Veliky Novgorod in 1677/78, the customs head and his assistants (tseloval'niki); it also provides data on the customs head and treasurer (larechnyi) from the Veliky Novgorod census book for 1677/78. The structure of the customs book for 1677/78 and the forms of individual records (information on residence and social status of traders, type and quantity of goods) are analyzed in detail. Unique feature of the Novgorod customs book for 1677/78 is that it contains not only the composition of the goods offered for sale, but also of the purchased goods. The analyzed document is a valuable historical source, containing extensive statistical and factual material on the history of domestic and foreign trade, not only in Veliky Novgorod, but in the whole of Russia. It is to be published as a publication-study, in which the text of the source is to be accompanied by the research essay and biographical and terminological notes.

Keywords

Russian State Archive of Ancient Acts, archeography, source studies, history of trade, customs books, Veliky Novgorod.

Download the article: razdorskii_doi

References

VARENTSOV, V. A. Torgovlya i tamozhennoe upravlenie Novgoroda v XVI—XVII vekakh [Trade and Customs Administration of Novgorod in the 16th — 17th Centuries. In Russ.]. Novgorod, 1996, 79 p.

KAFENGAUZ, B. B. Ocherki vnutrennego rynka Rossii pervoi poloviny XVIII v.: (Po materialam vnutr. tamozhen) [Essays on the Russian domestic market in the first half of the 18th century: (According to the materials of internal customs). In Russ.]. Moscow, Izd-vo Akademii nauk publ., 1958, 355 p.

RAZDORSKII, A. I. Kniga tamozhennogo i piteinogo sbora Kurska i Kurskogo uezda 1720 g.: Issledovanie. Tekst. Kommentarii [The book of customs and drink income of Kursk and the Kursk uezd in 1720: Research. Text. Commentary. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Dmitrii Bulanin publ., 2007. 623 p.

About author

Razdorskii Alexei Igorevich, PhD in History, National Library of Russia, department of bibliography and local history, leading researcher, head of the historical bibliography group, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, +7-904-334-38-40, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 30.07.2019, published (for citation):

RAZDORSKII, A. I. Tamozhennaya kniga Velikogo Novgoroda 1677/78 g. kak istoricheskii istochnik [Customs Book of Veliky Novgorod for 1677/78 as a Historical Source. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2020, no. 2, pp. 331-342. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-331-342

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.