"Still, the great collaboration between Lenin and Stalin did not work out": transcript of the meeting at the Directorate of the Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute (IMEL) to discuss the scientific biography of V. I. Lenin. I. Lenin on November 20, 1940.

Print PDF

Document publication

doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2024-1-257-270

For citation

Morozov, Dmitry V. "Still, the great collaboration between Lenin and Stalin did not work out": transcript of the meeting at the Directorate of the Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute (IMEL) to discuss the scientific biography of V. I. Lenin. I. Lenin on November 20, 1940. (In Russ). IN: Vestnik Archivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2024, no. 1, pp. 257-270. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2024-1-257-270

Morozov, Dmitry V., Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow, Russian Federation

"Still, the great collaboration between Lenin and Stalin did not work out": transcript of the meeting at the Directorate of the Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute (IMEL) to discuss the scientific biography of V. I. Lenin. I. Lenin on November 20, 1940.

Abstract

The purpose of this publication is to introduce into scientific circulation the transcript of the meeting of the Directorate of the Marx Engels Lenin Institute (IMEL) dated November 20, 1940. The published source belongs to the problematic field of the history of historical science at the turn of the 1930s-1940s. The meeting reflected in the document became one of the few known to us "exchanges of views" within the institute on the development of the author's team of the biography of V.I. Lenin. The document complements the plots related to the functioning of the cult of personality of I.V. Stalin and its limits in Soviet historical science; gives an understanding of how the image of a professional revolutionary should appear; reflects the technical nuances that imposed objective restrictions on the author's team during the writing of the biography of V.I. Lenin. The creators of the text found themselves in a certain ideological framework: they were obliged to build the reviewed Lenin's works, focusing on the "Short Course of the history of the CPSU (b)". Separate text inserts and quotations of V.I. Lenin in the text of the biography were subject to the same kind of adjustments. The construction of the image of the leader from the point of view of his human qualities posed a large number of questions to the team of authors concerning the image of a professional revolutionary. How should one comprehend the theoretical heritage of the leader and how to combine it with practice? How should the portrait of V.I. Lenin be given? Is it worth showing the personality through everyday details (through a description of his rest, attitude to nature, etc.) or is it quite possible to limit yourself to showing high culture in the work and modesty of the leader? And is it necessary to set such a goal at all? Ultimately, during the discussion that unfolded during the meeting of the IMEL directorate, the team of authors decided to focus mainly on the political activities of V.I. Lenin, limiting themselves to only rare references to the personal life of a professional revolutionary. The source was identified in the Russian State Archive of Socio-Political History (RGASPI) in f. 71. The document is a typewritten original and is published in accordance with modern rules of spelling and punctuation. Obvious shortcomings and a few errors have been corrected in the text. Information about the persons and scientific works mentioned in the source is given in the footnote. An important pre-publication comment updating this source is important. The source is published with banknotes: plots that are insignificant from the point of view of the issues discussed are cut out.

Keywords

V. I. Lenin, Institute of Marx–Engels–Lenin, biography, Lenin Vladimir Ilyich: A brief sketch of life and activity, A short course in the history of the VKP(b)

Download the article: morozov_doi

References

Bazhenov, B. V. Biographical studies in Soviet historiography: 1917 - mid-1930s (In Russ.). IN: Historical Notes. Т. 98. (In Russ.). Moscow: Nauka publ., 1977, pp. 238-256.

Bazhenov, B. V. From the history of the development of scientific biography of V. I. Lenin: 1917. I. Lenin: 1917. - mid 30-ies of the XX century (In Russ.). IN: History and historians: historiographic yearbook. 1974. (In Russ.). Moscow: Nauka publ., 1976, pp. 35-61.

Velikanova, O. V. The image of Lenin in the mass consciousness (In Russ.). IN: Otechestvennaya istoriya. 1994, № 2, pp. 177-185.

Lenin Vladimir Ilyich: A Brief Sketch of Life and Work / Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute at the Central Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks(b). (In Russ.). Moscow Gospolitizdat publ., 1942. 297 p.

Illeritskaya, N. V. Development of Em. Yaroslavsky biography of B. I. Lenin (In Russ.). IN: History and historians: historiographical yearbook. 1981. Moscow: Nauka publ., 1985, pp. 165-184.

Mikhailova, N. M. S. Olminsky's work on the biography of V. I. Lenin and his literary heritage (In Russ.). IN: History and historians: historiographical yearbook. 1979. Moscow: Nauka publ., 1982, pp. 162-176.

Mosolov, V. G. IMEL - citadel of party orthodoxy: from the history of the Institute of Marxism-Leninism at the CPSU Central Committee, 1921 - 1956. (In Russ.). Moscow: Novy Khronograph publ., 2010. 600 p.

Savitskaya, R. M. Development of scientific biography of V. I. Lenin. I. Lenin (In Russ.). IN: Questions of History. 1971. № 4, pp. 3-19.

Savitskaya, R. M. Development of scientific biography of V. I. Lenin. I. Lenin (In Russ.). IN: Questions of History. 1971. № 4, pp. 3-19.

Sidorova, L. A. Myth in the Soviet historical science: generational aspect (In Russ.). IN: Teachers XXI century, pp. 288-297.

Tumarkin, N. Lenin is alive! The Cult of Lenin in Soviet Russia. (In Russ.). St. Petersburg: Humanitarian Agency Academic Project publ., 1999. 285 p.

Ennker, B. Formation of Lenin's Cult in the Soviet Union. (In Russ.). Moscow: ROSSPEN publ., 2011, 437 p.

About the authors

Morozov Dmitry Vladimirovich, Russian State University for the Humanities, Institute of History and Archives, Faculty of History, Department of History and Theory of Historical Science, PhD student, Moscow, Russian Federation, 8-916-360-28-50, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

ORCID 0009-0008-1798-8752

Information about grants

The work was carried out within the framework of the Russian State University for the Humanities project "Intellectual biography in the research of young historians" (competition "Student project research teams of RSUH")

The article was received in the editorial office on 31.08.2023, recommended for publication on 20.12.2023.

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.