Monitoring Law Enforcement in Archival Legislation for Legal Loop-Holes: A Case-Study of the Activities of the Archival Agency of the Kurgan Region

Print PDF

УДК 930.251

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-1-146-154

Aleksandr I. Kulinich

Kurgan State University, Kurgan, Russian Federation

Evgeniy I. Sorogin

Press, Media, and Archives Directorate for the Kurgan Region, Kurgan, Russian Federation

Monitoring Law Enforcement in Archival Legislation for Legal Loop-Holes: A Case-Study of the Activities of the Archival Agency of the Kurgan Region

Abstract

The authors study legal loop-holes in the archival legislation. As it is impossible to analyze the whole of archival legislation, including regional laws and regulations of all subjects of Russia, the article focuses on the Federal law. It draws on practices of the Archival Agency of the Kurgan Region and addresses practical concerns. It analyzes inconsistencies and legal loop-holes in implementation of following three laws: the Federal law of October 22, 2004 no. 125-FZ ‘On archiving in the Russian Federation,’ the Federal law of 26 December, 2008 no. 294-FZ ‘On protection of rights of legal persons and self-employed entrepreneurs in the exercise of state control (supervision) and municipal control,’ and the Federal law of April 5, 2013 no. 44-FZ ‘On contract systems in the sphere of procurement of goods, works and services for provisioning governmental and municipal needs.’ The study has identified the following legal loop-holes and inconsistencies:

(1) There is a legal loop-hole in implementation of the control function. No clear demarcation of jurisdictions of the Russian Federation and those of the subjects of the Russian Federation is provided in Federal laws no. 294-FZ and no. 125-FZ;

(2) There is a contradiction between Federal laws no. 125-FZ and no. 44-FZ. In case of winding-up of a state procurement agency and transferring its powers to a government agency, documents on primary activity are to be filed in a state archive and also to remain in the new government agency;

(3) Lack of uniform and federally approved methodology for division of ownership of archival documents between municipalities and subjects of the Russian Federation result in similar documents falling under different forms of ownership in different regions;

(4) Lack of regulatory framework in acquisition and transfer of e-documents to state archives hinders introduction of a full-featured e-document interchange between state authorities.

The authors contend that these legal loop-holes and inconsistencies should be corrected.

Download the article: kulinich_sorogin_doi

Keywords

Archival legislation, legal loop-holes, Federal law no. 125-FL, archival agency, archival documents.

References

ASFANDIYAROVA, E. G. Pravovye osnovy organizatsii arkhivnogo dela v respublike Bashkortostan [Legal frameworks for archiving in the Republic of Bashkortostan]. Ufa, BAGSU publ., 2007, 84 p.

BUROVA, E. M. Arkhivnoe zakonodatel'stvo i ego primenenie v prakticheskoi deyatel'nosti arkhivov organizatsii [Archival legislation and its application in practice of organizations archives. In Russ.]. IN: Deloproizvodstvo, 2013, no. 1. [on-line]. Available at: http://www.toppersonal.ru/officeworkissue.html?265 (accessed: 03.07.2017).

SHIBAEV, V. V. Arkhivnoe zakonodatel'stvo v sovremennoi Rossii: osnovnye tendentsii razvitiya [Archival legislation in modern Russia: Major development trends. In Russ.]. IN: Arkhivy Rossii i Pol'shi: istoriya, problemy i perspektivy razvitiya: sb. nauch. tr. / pod obshch. red. L. Mazur i Ya. Losovski [MAZUR L., LOSOVSKI Ya. [eds.]. Archives of Poland and Russia: History, problems and prospects: Collected scientific papers]. Ekaterinburg, Ural. Un. publ, 2013., pp. 106-120.

About authors

Kulinich Aleksandr Igorevich, Kurgan State University, culturology department, senior lecturer, Kurgan, Russian Federation, +7-905-850-02-87, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Sorogin Evgeniy Igorevich, Press, Media, and Archives Directorate for the Kurgan Region, Kurgan, deputy head, Kurgan, Russian Federation, +7-919-562-67-12, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 16.07.2017, published:

KULINICH, A. I., SOROGIN, E. I. Monitoring pravoprimeneniya v sfere arkhivnogo zakonodatel'stva. Pravovye lakuny na primere deyatel'nosti arkhivnoi sluzhby Kurganskoi oblasti [Monitoring law enforcement in archival legislation for legal loop-holes: A case-study of the activities of the Archival Agency of the Kurgan Region. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista – Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 1, pp. 146-154. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-1-146-154

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.