‘A Russian revolt, senseless and merciless...’: The 100th anniversary of 1917 revolution in Russia

Print PDF

УДК 903.23.31

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-1-169-180

Nikolai A. Zhirov

I. A. Bunin Yelets State University, Yelets, Russian Federation

‘A Russian revolt, senseless and merciless...’: The 100th anniversary of 1917 revolution in Russia

Abstract

On September, 21-23, the I.A. Bunin Yelets State University, supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFFI), held an All-Russian scientific conference ‘In the time of change: Revolt, insurrection, and revolution in the Russian periphery in the 17th – early 20th centuries’. Scientists from various Russian regions participated in its work. The conference organizers focused on social conflicts in the Russian periphery. The first series of reports addressed the Age of Rebellions in the Russian history. They considered the role and the place of the service class people in anti-government revolts. Some scientists stressed the effect of official state policy on the revolutionary mood of the people. Some reports paid attention to jurisdictions and activities of the general police in the 19th – early 20th century and those of the Provisional Government militia. Other reports analyzed the participation of persons of non-peasant origin in the revolutionary events. They studied the effect of the revolutionary events on the mood and behavior of local people and the ways of solving conflicts between the authorities and the society. Most numerous series of reports were devoted to social conflicts in the Russian village at the turn of the 20th century, studied forms and ways of peasants' struggle against the extortionate cost of the emancipation, and offered a periodization of peasants' uprisings. The researchers stressed that peasants remained politically unmotivated; analysis of their relations with authorities shows that they were predominantly conservative and not prone to incitement to against monarchy. Some questions of source studies and methodology of studying the revolution and the preceding period were raised. Most researches used interdisciplinary methods, popular in modern humanities and historical science.

Download the article: zhirov_doi

Keywords

Protest movement, revolt, revolution in the periphery, social conflict, peasantry of the Centre of Russia, Civil War.

References

ANFERTIEV, I. A. Dokumenty Rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo arkhiva sotsial'no-politicheskoi istorii o sozdanii i deyatel'nosti TsKK RKP(b) - VKP(b) v 1920-e gg. [Documents from the Russian State Archive of Social and Political History on establishment and activities of the Central Control Commission of the RCP (B) – AUCP (B) in 1920s. In Russ]. IN: Dokumentatsiya v informatsionnom obshchestve: normativno-metodicheskoe obespechenie upravleniya dokumentami: doklady i soobshheniya na XXI Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, 18-19 noyabrya 2014 g. [Documentation in information society: Regulatory and methodological support of document management: Reports of the 21st international research-to-practice conference, November 18-19, 2014]. Moscow, VNIIDAD publ., 2015, рр. 459-473.

BEZGIN, V. B. Muzhitskaya pravda. Obychnoe pravo i sud russkikh krest'yan. [Muzhik truth: Common law and Russian peasant justice. In Russ]. Moscow, Common place publ., 2017, 334 p.

DANILOV, V. P. Krest'yanskaya revolyutsiya v Rossii 1902-1922 gg. [Peasant revolution in Russia: 1902-1922. In Russ.]. IN: Krest'yane i vlast': Materialy konferentsii [Peasants and power: Proceedings of the conference]. Moscow, Tambov, 1996, pp. 4-23.

ZHIROV, N. A. Otchet upolnomochennogo gubernskogo zemstva Pozdnyakova N.N. o poezdke v Zapadnuyu Sibir' dlya oznakomleniya s zemlyami kolonizatsionnogo fonda kak istochnik po izucheniyu stolypinskoi pereselencheskoi politiki v nachale XX v. [Report of gubernnia zemstvo representative Pozdnyakov N.N. on his trip to West Siberia in order to review the lands of colonization fund as a source for studying Stolypin resettlement policy in the early 20th century. In Russ.]. IN: Istoriya: fakty i simvoly, 2016, no. 4 (9), pp. 141-146.

ZEMTSOV, L. I. Krest'yanskii mir" i voina (1914-1916 gg.) [Peasant mir and the war (1914-1916). In Russ]. IN: Istoriya: fakty i simvoly, 2017, no. 2 (11), pp. 110-119. DOI: 10.24888/2410-4205-2017-11-2-110-119.

KARPACHEV, M. D. O sotsial'nykh istokakh russkikh revolyutsii nachala XX v. [On social sources of the Russian revolutions of early 20th century. In Russ]. IN: Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Istoriya, Politologiya. Sotsiologiya [Bulletin of the Voronezh State University. Series: History. Political Science. Sociology]. 2015, no. 3, pp.21-28.

LYAPIN, D. A. K voprosu o formakh povedencheskikh modelei i strukture povsednevnosti yuzhnorusskogo obshchestva vo vtoroi polovine XVII v. (na primere Voronezha)[Revisiting variants of behavioral models and patterns of daily life of the population of the South of Russia in the second half of the 17th century: A case-study of Voronezh) In Russ]. IN: Filo Ariadne, 2017, no. 1 (5), pp. 23-36.

NIKOLASHIN, V. P. Tambovskaya derevnya v 1917-1918 godakh: mezhdu reformoi i vosstaniem [Tambov village in 1917-1918: Between reform and revolt. In Russ]. IN: Istoriya: fakty i simvoly, 2017, no. 3 (12), pp. 160-167. DOI: 10.24888/2410-4205-2017-12-3-160-168.

TROPIN, N. A. Nikolai Aleksandrovich Ridinger: politsmeister i issledovatel' Orlovskogo kraya. Po materialam Gosudarstvennogo arkhiva Orlovskoi oblasti [Nikolai Aleksandrovich Ridinger, polizeimeister and researcher of the Oryol region: From the documents of the State Archive of the Oryol Region. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an archivist, 2017, no. 2, pp. 169-184.

About author

Zhirov Nikolai Anatolievich, PhD in History, I. A. Bunin Yelets State University, Yelets, Russian Federation, +7-951-306-89-57, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 4.05.2017, published:

ZHIROV, N. A. “Russkii bunt, bessmyslennyi i besposhchadnyi…”. K stoletiyu revolyutsii 1917 g. v Rossii [‘A Russian revolt, senseless and merciless...’: The 100th anniversary of 1917 revolution in Russia. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 1, pp. 169-180. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-1-169-180

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.