Distinctness of Formation and Development of the Health Care System during Occupation of the Stary Oskol District, Kursk Region

Print PDF

УДК 94(47)”1941/1945”

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-2-423-432

Vladimir I. Kovalev

Gubkin branch of the V.G.Shukhov Belgorod State Technological University, Gubkin, Russian Federation

Distinctness of Formation and Development of the Health Care System during Occupation of the Stary Oskol District, Kursk Region

Abstract

The article studies how the occupational authorities established medical institutions and developed health services in the Stary Oskol district of the Kursk region from July 2, 1942 to February 5, 1943. The author has analyzed scholarship and archival materials and concluded that the problem needs a further study. The article analyzes the process of medical institutions reconstruction. It focuses on the formation of financial resources, which was indispensable for their restoration, and the outset of their work. The author underscores the difficulties in providing medical institutions with professional personnel, and secondly, the instances of collaboration among the local population. Such cooperation could be justified not just by self-preservation, but also by preoccupation with public needs. Collaboration on the territory of the Stary Oskol district occupied by the German troops was not extensive. However, the health care was under-stuffed and badly supplied, the population had little food and less money, which resulted in rising death rates in the Stary Oskol district. A large part of the documents is being now introduced into scientific use by the article. It significantly expands traditional notions of the national scholarship on the occupation regime, the difficulties in medical institutions development and healthcare delivery to the local population and the prisoners of war, thus allowing a better understanding of the problem. The novelty of the article is in its being a first study of formation and development of the health care system under the new political regime and of social collaborationism manifestations among an insignificant part of the civilian population during the occupation of the Stary Oskol district, Kursk region.

Download the article: kovalev_doi

Keywords

Archive, sources, German occupation, health care system, collaboration , Stary Oskol district, medical institutions, medical supplies, doctor.

Refereces

ERMOLOV, I. Tri goda bez Stalina. Okkupatsiya: sovetskie grazhdane mezhdu natsistami I bol’shevikami. 1941 – 1944 [Three years without Stalin. Occupation: Soviet citizens between the Nazis and the Bolsheviks: 1941 – 1944. In Russ.]. Moscow, ZAO Tsentrpoligraf publ., 2010, 383 p.

MOLODOVA, I. Yu. Organizatsiya zdravookhraneniya v usloviyakh natsistskoi okkupatsii (po materialam regionalnykh arkhivov Kaluzhskoi, Bryanskoi i Smolenskoi oblastei) [Health services under the Nazi occupation: Materials from the regional archives of the Kaluga, Bryansk and Smolensk regions. In Russ.]. IN: Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya, 2014, no. 21, pp. 195 – 197.

SEMIRYAGA, M. I. Kollaboratsionizm. Priroda, tipologiya i proiavleniya v gody Vtoroi mirovoi voiny [Collaboration: Nature, typology, and manifestations in World War II. In Russ.]. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2000, 863 p.

About author

Kovalev Vladimir Ivanovich, PhD in History, associate professor, Gubkin branch of the V. G. Shukhov Belgorod State Technological University, assistant professor, Gubkin, Russian Federation, +7-908-789-30-52, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 6.12.2017, published:

Kovalev, V. I. Svoeobrazie formirovaniya i razvitiya sistemy zdravookhraneniya v period okkupatsii Starooskol'skogo raiona Kurskoi oblasti [Distinctness of Formation and Development of the Health Care System during Occupation of the Stary Oskol District, Kursk Region. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 2, pp. 423-432. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-2-423-432

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.