“Pretty Much Obeyed All Requirements of the Authorities and the Circumstances ...”: Milestones in the Biography of the Law Officer, General–Major N.M. Senitsky

Print PDF

УДК 929+356.352+355.333.694(47)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-4-1241-1254

Dmitrii I. Petin

Omsk State Technical University, Omsk, Russian Federation

“Pretty Much Obeyed All Requirements of the Authorities and the Circumstances ...”: Milestones in the Biography of the Law Officer, General–Major N.M. Senitsky

Abstract

The article presents a historical and biographical study devoted to General N.M. Senitsky – the military lawyer, who served in Omsk in the “old” and later in the White army, became a Soviet employee, was subjected to political oppression. The case-study of social adaptation of the general sheds light on the military and socio-political situation in Siberia on the eve of and during the Civil War and in the first decade after its end. The nature of the study determines its key methods: biographical and problem-chronological. The biographical method allows the author to interpret the events of the era, linking them with Senitsky’s professional activities and personal life. The problem-chronological method permits to trace the logic behind the changes in the military-political sphere of the region and behind the facts of Senitsky’s biography and to underscore their correlation. The source base of the article is the complex of unpublished documents from the 1920–30s found by the author in the fonds of the Historical Archive of the Omsk Region and in the archive of the Directorate of the Federal Security Service of Russia for the Omsk Region: sources of personal provenance (N.M. Senitsky's autobiographies and questionnaires), documents from the special register on former White Guard officers, and investigatory records of the Soviet state security bodies, as well as personal file of the lishenetz (disenfranchised person). The identified sources help to reconstruct N.M. Senitsky’s biography in great detail.

Keywords

Historical sources, military lawyers, generalship, Civil War, White movement, Soviet power, Omsk, lishentsy, Soviet repressions.

Download the article: petin_doi

References

ALEKSEEVA, O. A., ZHURAVLEV, E. N., SUSHKO, A. V. Retsenziya: “‘Belye ofitsery – krasnaya vlast’: imennoi ukazatel' k fondam Istoricheskogo arkhiva Omskoi oblasti (konets 1919 g. – 1920–ye gg.)” – Omsk, “Amfora”, 2017 [Review: “White officers – Red power”: Name index to the fonds of the Historical Archive of the Omsk Region (late 1919 – 1920s). Omsk, “Amphora” publ., 2017. In Russ.]. IN: Severnye Arkhivy i Ekspeditsii, 2018, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 47–55.

BELOKRYS, M. A. Muzykal'naya kul'tura Omskogo Priirtysh'ya v litsakh (XVIII – seredina XX v.): biobibliograficheskiy slovar' [Musical culture of Omsk Priirtyshia in personalities (18th – mid-20th century): Biobibliographical dictionary. In Russ.]. In 4 vols. Vol. 4. R–Ya. Omsk, 2015, 632 p.

BLINOVA, O. V., PETIN, D. I. General–maior Nikifor Dem'yanovich Pavlov (1867–1929 gg.): shtrikhi k istoricheskomu portretu [Major General Nikifor Demyanovich Pavlov (1867–1929 gg.): Touching up his historical portrait. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik Omskogo universiteta. Seriya “Istoricheskie nauki” [Bulletin of Omsk University. Series “Historical Sciences”], 2018, no. 3, pp. 127–137.

OVCHAROV, V. V. Rol' Upravleniya komendanta st. Krasnoyarsk v voennykh sobytiyakh v Krasnoyarske v yanvare 1920 g. [The role of the commandant’s directorate of the Krasnoyarsk railway station in the military events in Krasnoyarsk in January 1920. In Russ.]. IN: Severnye Arkhivy i Ekspeditsii, 2018, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 21-25.

PETIN, D. I., KAMINSKII, V. V. General–maior Genshtaba N. N. Artamonov (1872–1937): biografiya skvoz' prizmu novykh istochnikov [General-Major of the General Staff N.N. Artamonov (1872–1937): A Biography in Light of New Sources. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista – Herald of an Archivist, 2017, no. 3, pр. 274–300.

PETIN, D. I. Lichnoye delo litsa, lishennogo izbiratel'nykh prav, kak informatsionnyi kompleks v prakticheskoi genealogii (na primere sud'by kadrovogo ofitsera Russkoi imperatorskoy armii M. K. Gombinskogo) [Personal file of a voteless person as an information complex for practical genealogy (on the example of the fate of the personnel officer of the Russian Imperial Army M. K. Gombinsky). In Russ.]. IN: Omskii nauchnyi vestnik. Seriya Obshchestvo. Istoriya. Sovremennost’ [Omsk Scientific Bulletin. Series Society. History. Contemporaneity], 2018, no. 3, pp. 22–26.

VOLKOV, E. V., EGOROV, N. D., KUPTSOV, I. V. Belye generaly Vostochnogo fronta Grazhdanskoi voiny [White Army generals of the Eastern front of the Civil War. In Russ.]. Moscow, Russkii put’ publ., 2003, 240 р.

SALAMATOVA, M. S. “Luchshe by rasstrelyali menya srazu...”: sud'by ofitserov belykh armii v sibirskom krae (1921–1929 gg.) [“I wish I was shot right away ...”: The fate of White army officers in the Siberian land (1921–1929). In Russ.]. IN: Tyumenskii istoricheskii sbornik, 2015, no. XVII, pp. 214–228.

SHISHKIN, V. I. “Gosudarstvo nakhoditsya v isklyuchitel'no kriticheskom polozhenii, poetomu, prezhde vsego, yavlyaetsya neobkhodimym sozdanie ego boevoi moshchi…” [“The state is in an extremely critical situation, therefore, first of all, it is necessary to create its combat power …”. In Russ.]. IN: Gumanitarnyye nauki v Sibiri, 2013, no. 4, pp. pp. 75–79.

About the authors

Petin Dmitrii Igorevich, PhD in History, associate professor, Omsk State Technical University, department of history, philosophy, and social Communications, assistant professor; Omsk, Russian Federation, +7-950-333-56-81, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 18.01.2020, published (for citation):

PETIN, D. I. “Vpolne podchinyalsya trebovaniyam vlastei i usloviyam…”. Vekhi biografii voennogo yurista general-maiora N. M. Senitskogo [“Pretty Much Obeyed All Requirements of the Authorities and the Circumstances ...”: Milestones in the Biography of the Law Officer, Major General N.M. Senitsky. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2020, no. 4, pp. 1241-1254. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-4-1241-1254

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.