“Send Us Some Guns and Grenades ...”: Appeal of Young Ukrainian Nationalists from Siberia to Their Confederates from the OUN–UPA in Ukraine in 1950

Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 930+172.15:93/94+343.917+94(47)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-1-232-247

Sushko A. V., Petin D. I.

Omsk State Technical University, Omsk, Russian Federation

“Send Us Some Guns and Grenades ...”: Appeal of Young Ukrainian Nationalists from Siberia to Their Confederates from the OUN–UPA in Ukraine in 1950

Abstract

The article is to study the Soviet special services’ attempt to prevent youth extremist organization of Ukrainian nationalists deploying their activities in the Omsk region in early February 1951, as they expressed an obvious readiness wage an anti-Soviet fight using agitation and terror. It is based on the analysis of a completely unknown and previously unintroduced into scientific use historical source, which remains in departmental storage. The source is fully reproduced in the final part of the article. Its facsimile copy and photograph used in the article as an illustration is exhibited in the History Hall of the FSB Directorate of Russia for the Omsk Region. High relevance of the publication is associated with the fact that neither aspects of political existence of the Ukrainian special settlers in Siberia in the late 1940s–50s, nor operational activities of the Soviet special services in this connection have been a subject of research. Among key reasons explaining this gap in historiography are peculiarities of departmental storage of archival documents of the state security agencies and complicated procedure for allowing researchers to get acquainted with them. Due to specifics of the study, the authors used a comprehensive methodological approach based on a combination of source study criticism (external and internal) with anthropological approach, biographical and problem-chronological methods. This theoretical amalgamation has allowed the authors to interpret the revealed document, linking its appearance with concrete historical situation and personalities. The publication may be of interest to researchers of the Ukrainian nationalist and separatist movement, of the political exile in the USSR in period of the Second World War, and of the work of Soviet state security agencies aimed at countering radical (ultra-right) forms of social and political thought.

Keywords

Ukrainian nationalism, Ukrainian separatism, OUN, UPA, special services, state security bodies, political exile, special settlers, Omsk.

Download the article: sushko_petin_doi

References

ANFERTIEV, I. A. Protiv grubykh vymyslov sovremennykh fal'sifikatorov istorii Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny [Against the crude fabrications of modern falsifiers of the history of the Great Patriotic War. In Russ.]. IN: Protivodeystviye sovremennym fal'sifikatoram istorii Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny. Sbornik materialov kruglogo stola [Counteraction of modern falsifiers of the history of the Great Patriotic War: Proceedings of the round-table conference]. Moscow, Tsentral'nyi muzei Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny 1941-1945 gg. publ., 2010, pp. 69–78.

ANFERTIEV, I. A. Arkhivnye dokumenty i ikh rol' v osmyslenii Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny 1941–1945 gg. [Archival documents and their role in understanding of the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45. In Russ.]. IN: Prosveshchenie v Rossii: i vyzovy novogo vremeni. Materialy VI sessii obshchestvenno-pedagogicheskogo foruma [Education in Russia and challenges of the modern time: Materials of the 6th session of the social and pedagogical forum]. St. Petersburg, Tsentr natsional'noi slavy; Rossiiskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii universitet im. A. I. Gertsena publ., 2014, pp. 113–114.

CHERKASOV, A. A., KRINKO, YE. F., SHMIGEL', M. Ukrainskii natsionalizm v gody Vtoroi mirovoi voiny: priroda i proyavleniya [Ukrainian nationalism during the Second World War: Its nature and manifestations. In. Russ.]. IN: Rusin, 2015, no. 2, pp. 98–117.

DANILOVA, L. N. Poslevoennaya sovetizatsiya Belorussii i Ukrainy na primere shkol'nogo obrazovaniya [Postwar Sovietization of Belarus and Ukraine (The Example of School Education). In Russ.]. IN: Noveyshaya istoriya Rossii, 2020, vol. 10, no.1, pp. 203–216.

GRIGORENKO, V. P. Kapkan: organy gosudarstvennoi bezopasnosti protiv vooruzhennogo natsionalisticheskogo podpol'ya [The Trap: State Security Bodies against Armed Nationalist Underground ... In Russ.]. IN: Tainaya strazha Rossii. Ocherki istorii otechestvennykh organov gosbezopasnosti [Secret Guard of Russia. Essays on the History of National State Security Bodies]. Book 2. Moscow, Algoritm publ., 2018, pp. 338–355.

IVANOV, V. A. Likvidatsiya OUNovtsev v voiskakh Leningradskogo fronta (avgust–sentyabr' 1941 g.) [Liquidation of the members of the Organization of Ukrainian nationalists in the troops of the Leningrad front (August–September 1941). In Russ.]. IN: Noveishaya istoriya Rossii, 2014, no. 2, pp. 25–38.

KANTOR, Yu. Z. “Istoriyu nevozmozhno perepisat', ee mozhno dopisat'…” [“History cannot be rewritten, it can be added to ...” In Russ.]. IN: Omskii nauchnyi vestnik. Seria Obshchestvo. Istoriya. Sovremennost’ [Omsk Scientific Bulletin. Series: Society. History. Modernity], 2019, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 9–15.

MUSIN, F. S., GORSHEV, P. M. Istoricheskii opyt bor'by sovetskikh organov gosudarstvennoi bezopasnosti i pogranichnykh voisk s vooruzhennym natsionalisticheskim podpol'yem v 1940-ye – 1950-ye gg. [Historical experience of the fight of Soviet state security bodies and border troops against armed nationalist underground in the 1940s–50s. In Russ.]. IN: Tainaya strazha Rossii. Ocherki istorii otechestvennykh organov gosbezopasnosti [Secret Guard of Russia. Essays on the History of National State Security Bodies]. Book 4. Moscow, Algoritm publ., 2020, pp. 480–485.

NOSKOVA, A. F. Ukrainskie natsionalisty v bor'be za “Sobornuyu Ukrainu” v 1940-ye gody [Ukrainian nationalists struggling for “United Ukraine” in the 1940s. In Russ.]. IN: Novaya i noveishaya istoriya, 2013, no. 3, pp. 130–138.

PLEKHANOV, A. M. “Sozdayetsya vpechatlenie, chto my vospityvaem molodoe pokolenie ‘ne pomnyashchee rodstva’…” [“We seem to teach the younger generation ‘to forget their roots’ …” In Russ.]. IN: Omskii nauchnyi vestnik. Seria Obshchestvo. Istoriya. Sovremennost’ [Omsk Scientific Bulletin. Series: Society. History. Modernity], 2018, no. 1, pp. 7–11.

ZDANOVICH, A. A. K voprosu izucheniya istorii VCHK–NKVD na sovremennom etape: polemicheskie zametki [On the issue of studying the Cheka–NKVD history at the present stage: Polemical notes. In Russ.]: IN: Klio, 2018, no. 3, pp. 196–205.

About the authors

Sushko Aleksey Vladimirovich, PhD in History, professor, Omsk State Technical University, department of history, philosophy, and social communications, professor, Omsk, Russian Federation, +7-962-057-13-27, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Petin Dmitrii Igorevich, PhD in History, Omsk State Technical University, department of history, philosophy, and social communications, assistant professor, Omsk, Russian Federation, +7-950-333-56-81, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 12.01.2020, published (for citation):

SUSHKO, A. V., PETIN, D. I. “Vyshlite nam neskol'ko pistoletov i granat...”. Obrashchenie molodykh ukrainskikh natsionalistov iz Sibiri k edinomyshlennikam OUN–UPA na Ukraine v 1950 g. [“Send Us Some Guns and Grenades ...”: Appeal of Young Ukrainian Nationalists from Siberia to Their Confederates from the OUN–UPA in Ukraine in 1950-. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2021, no. 1, pp. 232-247. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-1-232-247

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.