Classification of Documents from Archival Fonds of City Magistrates of the Kursk Viceroyalty of the Second Quarter of the 18th Century

Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 94(47)+930.253 “1775/1796”

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-4-997-1008

Efremova, Irina S.

State Archive of the Kursk Region, Kursk, Russian Federation

Classification of Documents from Archival Fonds of City Magistrates of the Kursk Viceroyalty of the Second Quarter of the 18th Century

Abstract

The article classifies documents of magistrates of the Kursk viceroyalty, which are stored in the State Archive of Kursk Region in the fonds of the Kursk viceroy’s office, Kursk magistrate, and Oboyan magistrate. For studying legal proceedings, demography, and administration in the second quarter of the 18th century, researchers prefer materials of the Kursk Chambers of Civil and Criminal Court, treasury department, and the viceroy’s office. Thus, studying external and internal documentation of magistrates is significant for revealing their role in the cities’ political and economic life. Until the early 1990s, in the Russian historiography there have been no specialized works on composition of documents of magistrates. The use of materials of city courts was thematic. Socio-economic studies put emphasis on a statistical documentation, while legal works focused on established practice in applying the law. Nevertheless, the scholarship of the second half of the 19th century developed two main principles of systematization of magistrate documents: chronologically-nominal and structurally-functional. Historians noted that, despite losing their tax and administrative competencies in the 1780s, magistrates continued to control these issues. The work is to structure documents of city courts of the Kursk viceroyalty. The author has developed her own structural and functional classification scheme, taking into account organizational and competence specifics of these institutions. For this typologization, a contextual analysis of materials has been carried out in order to evaluate the documents’ legal force and to identify which area of relations they regulate. Thus, the documents have been divided in two groups (organizational/administrative and competence-based), each further subdivided in 4 classes. The first block includes materials regulating activities of magistrates (internal and external regulatory legal acts) and those springing from their functioning (accounting, personnel, accounting and registration, reporting documents). The second block includes materials which the magistrates created while executing their direct and indirect powers. The given classification reflects the composition of city courts’ documents and procedures of their clerical work, as well as their place and role in the city development of the Kursk viceroyalty in the second quarter of the 18th century.

Keywords

Historical sources, magistrate, bulletin, record of service, petition, denunciation, register, report, alphabet, ballot paper, meeting log, verdict of the Society of townspeople, special definition.

Download the article: efremova_doi

References

VODARSKII, Ya. E. Proekt Reglamenta Glavnogo magistrata i ego redaktsii (1720 g.) [Draft of the Regulations for the Chief Magistrate and their revisions (1720). In Russ.]. IN: Problemy istochnikovedeniya [Issues of source studies]. Issue 10. Moscow, AN SSSR publ.,1962, pp. 195–207.

DITYATIN, I. I. Ustroistvo i upravlenie gorodov Rossii. T. I. Goroda Rossii v XVIII stoletii [Organization and management of Russian cities. Vol. 1: Cities of Russia in the 18th century. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg: Tirografiya P. P. Merkul'eva publ, 1875, 507 p.

EROSHKIN, N. P. Istoriya gosudarstvennykh uchrezhdenii dorevolyutsionnoi Rossii [History of state institutions of pre-revolutionary Russia. In Russ.]. Moscow, Vysshaya shkola publ., 1968, 352 p.

KIZEVETTER, A. A. Posadskaya obshchina v Rossii XVIII st. [Urban community in Russia in the 18th century. In Russ.]. Moscow, Univ. tip. publ., 1903, 810 p.

KIPRIYANOVA, N. V. Povsednevnaya zhizn' provintsial'nogo kupechestva v deloproizvodstvennoi dokumentatsii [Daily life of the provincial merchants in the pre-revolutionary documentation. In Russ.]. IN: Arkhivy i istoriya Rossiiskoi gosudarstvennosti [Sokolov, A. R., Dvornichenko, A. Yu. (eds.). Archive and the history of the Russian statehood. In Russ.]. Issue 10. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 64–72.

LUKASHEVICH, A. A. K istorii deloproizvodstvennoi dokumentatsii Rossii XVIII v. [Revisiting the history of office documentation in Russia in the 18th century. In Russ.]. IN: Otechestvennye arkhivy, 2004, no. 4, pp. 12–18.

PLOSHINSKII, A. O. Gorodskoe, ili srednee sostoyanie russkogo naroda, v ego istoricheskom razvitii, ot nachala Rusi do noveishikh vremen [The Urban or Middle State of the Russian People in its Historical Development from the Beginning of Russia to Modern Times. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Tip. E. Veimara publ, 1852, 286 p.

SEREDA, N. V. Reforma upravleniya Ekateriny Vtoroi: istochnikoved. Issled. [The reform of the administration of Catherine II: Source studies. In Russ.]. Moscow, Pamyatniki ist. mysli publ, 2004, 444 p

About the authors

Efremova Irina Sergeevna, State Archive of the Kursk Region, senior researcher, Kursk, Russian Federation, +7-920-710-07-19, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Submitted 24.07.2021, published (for citation):

EFREMOVA, I. S. Klassifikatsiya dokumentov arkhivnykh fondov gorodovykh magistratov. Na primere Kurskogo namestnichestva 2-i chetverti XVIII veka [Classification of Documents from Archival Fonds of City Magistrates of the Kursk Viceroyalty of the Second Quarter of the 18th Century. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2021, no. 4, pp. 997-1008. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-4-997-1008

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.