N. V. Tchaikovsky and A. I. Denikin: Dialogue, Collaboration, and Controversy of the Anti-Bolshevik Movement Leaders in the Days of the Civil War in Russia: Documents from Russian and Foreign Archives

Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 930.253+94(47)+82-6

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-1-81-97

Goldin, Vladislav I.

M. V. Lomonosov Northern (Arctic) Federal University, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation

N. V. Tchaikovsky and A. I. Denikin: Dialogue, Collaboration, and Controversy of the Anti-Bolshevik Movement Leaders in the Days of the Civil War in Russia: Documents from Russian and Foreign Archives

Abstract

The article presents the activities of the anti-Bolshevik movement leaders, N.V. Tchaikovsky in the North and General A.I. Denikin in the South of Russia in the days of the Civil War. The object and aim of the research is to analyze their relations, dialogue, collaboration, and contradicting views on state building, interrelations of civil and military powers, relations with the foreign allies by studying archival documents. Most of the studied documents are from documentary collections of the former Russian Historical Archive Abroad in Prague transferred in 1946 to Moscow and now mostly stored in the State Archive of the Russian Federation: personal provenance fonds of N. V. Tchaikovsky and A. I. Denikin, documentary collection of the “Society of Northerners.” The article analyzes a long letter written by Tchaikovsky and addressed to Denikin (April 1919), where he assesses organization of power in the Northern Region, relations of the military, including foreign allies and Commander-in-Chief of the Entente forces, with the government of the Northern Region. It presents documents on Tchaikovsky’s views on the political process in South Russia at the time when he was a member of the Russian Political Delegation of the Russian Political Conference in Paris; on relations of the White movement with nationalities. The article highlights Tchaikovsky’s meeting with the Polish leader Josef Pilsudski in an attempt to organize a military alliance of Denikin’s forces with Poland. It assesses Tchaikovsky’s participation in the South Russian Government in 1920 and his relations with General Denikin at the same period. Tchaikovsky sought to implement a “middle” course, balancing the “left” and the “right” fractions, civil and military powers; to demonstrate democratic nature of the Government; and to gain support of a considerable part of the population, while General Denikin was in favor of military dictatorship. Neither approach brought success to the anti-Bolshevik movement in the Civil War. However, identifying and introducing into scientific use documents of these two leaders of the anti-Bolshevik movement is important for proper understanding of its history.

Keywords

Archive, historical sources, anti-Bolshevik movement, Civil War in Russia, N.V. Tchaikovsky, A.I. Denikin, Northern Region, Armed Forces of the South of Russia, Russian Political Conference.

Download the article: goldin_doi

References

ANFERTIEV, I. A. V likholet'e [The troubled years. In Russ.]. IN: Ot pervogo litsa [In first person]. In 2 books. Book 1. Moscow, Patriot publ, 1990, рp. 453-495.

GOLDIN, V. I. Kontrrevolutsiya na Severe Rosii i ee krushenie (1918–1920 gg) [Counterrevolution in the North of Russia and its failure (1918–20). In Russ.]. Vologda, Vologodskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii institut publ., 1989, 93 p.

ZIMINA V. D. Beloe delo vzbuntovavsheisya Rossii: Politicheskie rezhimy Grazhdanskoi voiny. 1917-1920 gg. [The White Cause of Rebellious Russia: Political Regimes of the Civil War: 1917–20. In Russ.]. Moscow, RGGU publ., 2006, 467 p.

MAKAROV, N. A. Nikolai Vasil’evich Tchaikovsky: Istoricheskii portret [Nikolai Vasil’evich Tchaikovsky: Historical portrait. In Russ.]. Arkhangellsk: Pomor State University publ., 2002, 286 p.

Revolyutsiya-100: rekonstruktsiya yubileya [BORDYUGOV, G. (ed.). Revolution-100: Reconstruction of the Jubilee]. Moscow, AIRO-XXI publ., 2017, 1088 p.

TEREBOV, O. V. A. I. Denikin protiv kantselyarshchiny, pokazukhi i proizvola [Denikin against bureaucracy, sugar coating, and high-handedness. In Russ.]. IN: Voenno-istoricheskii zhurnal, 1994, no. 2, pp. 90–94.

KHODAKOV, I. M. Politicheskie vzglyady generala A. I. Denikina [Political views of General A. I. Denikin. In Russ.]. IN: Voprosy istorii, 2006, no. 6, pp. 141–147.

About the authors

Goldin Vladislav Ivanovich, PhD in History, professor, Honoured Science Worker of the Russian Federation, M.V. Lomonosov Northern (Arctic) Federal University, professor, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation, +7-921-293-70-81, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 9.09.2021, published (for citation):

GOLDIN, V. I. N. V. Chaikovskii i A. I. Denikin: dialog, sotrudnichestvo i protivorechiya liderov antibol'shevistskogo dvizheniya v gody Grazhdanskoi voiny v Rossii. Po stranitsam dokumentov rossiiskikh i zarubezhnykh arkhivov [N. V. Tchaikovsky and A. I. Denikin: Dialogue, Collaboration, and Controversy of the Anti-Bolshevik Movement Leaders in the Days of the Civil War in Russia: Documents from Russian and Foreign Archives. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2022, no. 1, pp. 81-97. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-1-81-97

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.