Archival Research on the Local and Family History: The City of Omsk City and New Research of Its Past

Print PDF

Review

УДК 94(47)+049.32+94(571.13)

doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-4-1271-1279

Korshunkov, Vladimir A.

Vyatka State University, Kirov, Russian Federation

Archival Research on the Local and Family History: The City of Omsk City and New Research of Its Past

Abstract

The article is a review of the monograph “The history of the Batyushkins, an Omsk family” by the Omsk historian Dmitry I. Petin. The book was published in Omsk in 2021. Some interesting and important pages of the regional history and culture of the 19th–20th centuries are associated with the Batyushkin family and the so-called Batyushkin’s House (also known as Kolchak’s House). Using the example of the life of this family’s head, Kapiton Batyushkin, the author shows how “social elevator” operated in the Russian Empire of the 19th century. In 1918–19 the Batyushkin’s mansion was the residence of the Supreme Ruler of Russia, Admiral Alexander V. Kolchak. D. I. Petin, an expert in archiving and an experienced researcher, has used documents from many archives, both federal and regional. He has also found valuable information in personal archives. The result is an exemplary research. A wide variety of sources have been used and new sources have been identified; they have been analyzed both in local and national context; methods characteristic of modern research have been used. The monograph contributes to study of microhistory, family history, Siberian local history and culture. The author uses historical and anthropological approach to his material. Twists and turns of human destinies are expounded, involving various historical and cultural data of Omsk and all-Russian pertinence. The book is a valuable contribution to the history and practices of archiving in Western Siberia: firstly, it analyzes many newly found archival sources; and secondly, the Center for Study of the History of the Civil War—scientific and educational unit of the Historical Archive of the Omsk Region—is located in the Batyushkin’s House. History of the functioning of this unique place is also considered in the book.

Keywords

Sources, archives, everyday life, Omsk, Revolution, Civil War in Russia, Batyushkin family, Admiral A. V. Kolchak.

Download the article: korshunkov_doi

References

KARPENKO, S. V. Predprinimateli v Krymu pri vlasti generala P. N. Vrangelya (1920 g.) [Entrepreneurs in the Crimea under General P. N. Wrangel. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik RGGU. Seriya: Istoriya. Filologiya. Kul'turologiya. Vostokovedenie [Bulletin of the Russian State University for the Humanities. Series: History. Philology. Culturology. Asian Studies], 2017, no. 1 (22), pp. 38–43.

KARPENKO, S. V. Otrazhenie istorii russkoi monarkhicheskoi emigratsii v dokumental'nykh sbornikakh “Russkaya voennaya emigratsiya 20–40-kh godov XX veka” [Reflection of the History of the Russian Monarchic ?migr? Community in the Documentary Collections: “The Russian Military ?migr? Community of the 1920s – 1940s.” In Russ.]. IN: Istoriya i arkhivy, 2019, no. 2, pp. 106-124. doi 10.28995/2658-6541-2019-2-106-124

KARPENKO, S. V. “Delo MOPITa”: Iz opyta bor'by generala A. I. Denikina s korruptsiei (Belyi Yug Rossii, 1919 g.) [The MOPIT case: From the history of A. I. Denikin’s fight against corruption. In Russ.]. IN: CLIO-SCIENCE: Problemy istorii i mezhdistsiplinarnogo sinteza: Sbornik nauchnykh trudov [CLIO-SCIENCE: Issues of history and multi-disciplinary synthesis]. Issue 5. Moscow, Moskovskii pedagogicheskii gosudarstvennyi universitet publ., 2014, pp. 218–225.

CHERNICHENKO, M. Yu. “Spekulyatsiya prazdnuet svoyu vakkhanaliyu”: Obrazy spekulyatsii i spekulyanta v periodicheskoi pechati Belogo yuga Rossii (1919 g.) [“Profiteering celebrating its Bacchanalias”: Images of profiteering and profiteer in the periodical press of the White South of Russia. In Russ.]. IN: Novyi istoricheskii vestnik, 2013, no. 4 (38), pp. 70–87.

CHERNICHENKO, M. Yu. Krizis denezhnogo obrashcheniya v tylu voisk generala A. I. Denikina v osveshchenii pechati Belogo yuga Rossii (1919 g.) [Currency circulation crisis in the rear of A. I. Denikin’s armies in the press coverage of the White South of Russia. In Russ.]. IN: Novyi istoricheskii vestnik, 2014, no.1 (39), pp. 70–88.

PETIN, D. I., STELMAK, M. M. Pedagogika v arkhive na sluzhbe preodoleniyu sovremennykh mifov massovogo samosoznaniya o Grazhdanskoi voine v Rossii [Pedagogy in the archive overcoming modern myths of the Civil War in Russia in the mass consciousness. In Russ.]. IN: Omskii nauchnyi vestnik. Ser. Obshchestvo. Istoriya. Sovremennost’ [Omsk Scientific Bulletin. Series Society. History. Modernity], 2018, no. 3, pp. 9–15.

About the authors

Korshunkov Vladimir Anatolyevich, PhD in History, associate professor, Vyatka State University, department of history and political sciences, assistant professor, Kirov, Russian Federation, +7-912-716-94-62, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 2.04.2022, published (for citation):

KORSHUNKOV, V. A. Arkhivnyi poisk v lokal'noi i semeinoi istorii: gorod Omsk i novoe v izuchenii ego proshlogo [Archival Research on the Local and Family History: The City of Omsk City and New Research of Its Past. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2022, no. 4, pp. 1271-1279. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-4-1271-1279

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.