“We Are All Flying into the Abyss”: Correspondence of F. D. Batyushkov, L. V. Sobinov, and A. I. Sumbatov-Yuzhin in November – December 1917

Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 93/94+792.03+930.253+351/354+930.23+792.075+792.2+782.1+35.074.4

doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2023-1-86-99

Gordeev, Petr N.

A. I. Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation

“We Are All Flying into the Abyss”: Correspondence of F. D. Batyushkov, L. V. Sobinov, and A. I. Sumbatov-Yuzhin in November – December 1917

Abstract

In the fonds of the Russian State Archive of Literature and Art and in the Manuscript Department of the Institute of Russian Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences there is stored correspondence of F. D. Batyushkov (who on the days of the revolution held the position of the chief commissioner for state theaters) with commissioners for the Moscow Bolshoi and Maly Theaters L. V. Sobinov and A. I. Sumbatov-Yuzhin over November and December 1917. These letters, most of which haven’t been published previously or introduced into scientific use, show the attitude of the leaders of the Department of Theatres to the Bolsheviks coming to power and to the prospect of cooperation with them. All three correspondents assessed the October Revolution negatively and spoke of their possible resignation (Batyushkov most definitely, Sobinov and Yuzhin with some reservations), but later serious discrepancies emerged in their personal strategies. Batyushkov was an implacable opponent of the Soviet government, rejecting all cooperation with the “terrorists” Bolsheviks and their representative, People's Commissar of Education A. V. Lunacharsky. On these grounds, he wanted to rally the Department of Theatres, at the head of which he stood. Positions of Yuzhin and Sobinov were more complicated. Yuzhin, who headed the Maly Theatre, shared Batyushkov's critical view of the “dominant party,” moreover, he was outraged and shocked by the pogrom of the Maly Theater by the Red Guards during street fighting in Moscow. However, his whole life was dedicated to the Maly Theater and he doubted whether he had the moral right to leave his position at such a crucial moment. Sobinov, on the other hand, was never able to overcome his personal dislike for Batyushkov (formed long before the October Revolution in disputes over the “autonomous” rights of Moscow theaters and their heads). In the emergency of November – December 1917, when the Bolsheviks established their control over banks and money transfers were extremely difficult, Sobinov did not want to put himself in the chief commissioner’s shoes and blamed him for the lack of money for the Bolshoi Theater. In December 1917, when A. V. Lunacharsky began a direct attack on Batyushkov's position in the Department of Theatres, the Petrograd state theaters expressed their support to Batyushkov. In Moscow, the situation was different: because of Sobinov's grievance with the chief commissioner and Yuzhin's attempts to coordinate his position with Sobinov, the Bolshoi and Maly Theaters did not unequivocally declare their confidence in Batyushkov, weakening the latter’s position in his conflict with Lunacharsky. The correspondence of Batyushkov, Sobinov, and Yuzhin over November – December 1917 is an important source on history of the Russian theater, as well as for studying the period of the so-called “sabotage” of civil servants after the October Revolution.

Keywords

Letters, Russian revolution of 1917, Russian theatre, Bolsheviks, Bolshoi Theatre, Maly Theatre, F. D. Batyushkov, L. V. Sobinov, A. I. Sumbatov-Yuzhin.

Download the article: gordeev_doi

References

BOBROVNIKOV, V. V. Teatr i kino v povsednevnoi zhizni naseleniya Petrograda v fevrale – oktyabre 1917 goda [Theater and cinema in the daily life of the population of Petrograd in February – October 1917. In Russ.] IN: Vestnik Ryazanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. S. A. Esenina [Bulletin of the S. A. Esenin Ryazan State University], 2022, no. 2, pp. 51–59.

SOLOVYOVA, I., EGOSHINA, O. Pis'ma v Khudozhestvennyi teatr. 1917–1918 [Letters to the Art Theater: 1917–18. In Russ.]. IN: Voprosy teatra, 2020, no. 3–4, pp. 272–301.

SHIYAN, E. V. Rannii sovetskii teatr i zritel': formirovanie novogo miroponimaniya (1917–1920-e gg.) [Early Soviet theater and its spectator: The formation of a new worldview (1917–20s). In Russ.]. IN: Aktual'nye problemy sovremennogo sotsiogumanitarnogo znaniya. Sbornik statei Natsional'noi (vserossiiskoi) nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Significant problems of modern social and humanitarian knowledge. Proceedings of the National (all-Russian) research-to-practice. In Russ.]. Saratov, Tsentr sotsial'nykh agroinnovatsii SGAU publ., 2020, pp. 81–88.

About the authors

Gordeev Petr Nickolaevich, PhD in History, A. I. Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, department of Russian history (19th – 21st centuries), senior researcher, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, +7-911-280-39-04, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 12.02.2022, published (for citation):

GORDEEV, P. N. “Vse my letim v propast'”. Perepiska F. D. Batyushkova, L. V. Sobinova i A. I. Sumbatova-Yuzhina v noyabre – dekabre 1917 g. [“We Are All Flying into the Abyss”: Correspondence of F. D. Batyushkov, L. V. Sobinov, and A. I. Sumbatov-Yuzhin in November – December 1917. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2023, no. 1, pp. 86-99. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2023-1-86-99

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.