Kupchaya for the Vologda court in 1624 from the collection of Slovansk knihovna

Print PDF

Scientific article

doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2024-2-508-521

For citation

Bashnin, N. V., Gryaznov, A. L. and Guslistova, A. N. (2024), “Kupchaya for the Vologda court in 1624 from the collection of Slovansk knihovna”, Herald of an Archivist, no. 2, pp. 508-521. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2024-2-508-521

Bashnin, Nikita V., St. Petersburg Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia

Gryaznov, Anatolii L., Guslistova, Anna N., Non-profit Partnership "Research Center "Drevnosti", Vologda, Russia

Kupchaya for the Vologda court in 1624 from the collection of Slovansk knihovna

Abstract

The article is devoted to the analysis of a unique document from the collection of the Slavonic Library in Prague (Slovansk knihovna). According to the assumption of E. F. Maksimovich these acts belonged to V. O. Kliuchevskii in his time. Most of the acts in this collection are related to noble land ownership and come from family archives, some are related to monasteries and bishop's chairs, as well as to state institutions (the Pomestniy Prikaz, the Alatyr congress hut). Sources that do not belong to these groups are particularly interesting. Among them is the bill of sale of Tretiak Kondratyev, the son of Pustokhin, for the yard of Patrikeev’s druzhina, the son of Dylev, in the Kirillovsky Sorok of Vologda dated November 9, 1624 - the earliest document related to Vologda from the collection of Russian acts in this archival repository. This charter reveals the peculiarities of real estate transactions of the Vologda posadki people. This document is one of the rare examples of a private deed, when none of the counterparties is a representative of the Church. The biographies of the parties to the transaction, their origin, and social status can be found out thanks to the prosopographical base compiled on the basis of a wide range of sources (primarily city cadastres, customs books and deeds), which contains information about more than five thousand townspeople who lived in Vologda in the second half of the 16th - second half of the 17th centuries. The bill of sale supplements the prosopographical base with information about ordinary Vologda people. In addition, it describes in detail the composition of the yard, which includes a hut, gate, cellar, barn, bathhouse and other outbuildings, vegetable garden and well. It should be noted that the document contains unique indications on old boundaries and rules of maintenance of hedges between yards. The bill of sale was executed by the court scrivener Osip Semyonov, with the involvement of other court scriveners Efim Lumpov and Denis Panov as servants. Later, the assignment of notarial functions to court scriveners was reflected in the norms of the 1649 Code of Regulations. The document contains an indication of their appearance before the local authorities - voivode Vasily Fyodorovich Buturlin and clerk Vasily Larionov. A corresponding note was made on the charter, and information about the transaction was recorded in the "books", which indicates state registration of transactions with city real estate. Such a set of information in the majority of similar documents is extremely rare.

Keywords

Slavic Library in Prague (Slovansk knihovna), Vologda, prosopographical base, people from the village, city real estate, bill of sale, historical source, source study

Download the article: bashnin_gryaznov_guslistova_doi

References

Andrianova, L. S. and Gryaznov, A. L. (2020), “Court ownership in Vologda in the XV-XVII centuries”, Bulletin of Vologda State University. Series History and Philology, no.2 (17), pp. 18–19.

Bulgakov, M. B. (2013), “The dormitory of the Vologda village people according to the scribe book of 1627/28 year”, Aver'yanov, K. A. (ed.), Problemy istoricheskoi geografii i demografii Rossii Vyp. 2 [Problems of Historical Geography and Demography of Russia. Issue 2], Institut Rosciiskoi istorii RAN, Moscow, Russia, pp. 232–245.

Gryaznov, A. L. and Guslistova, A. N. (2017), “Zemstvo self-government in Vologda in the first third of the XVII century”, Nazarov, V. D. (ed.), Predstavitel'nye instituty v Rossii v kontekste evropeiskoi istorii XV – seredina XVII v. [Representative institutions in Russia in the context of European history XV - mid XVII century], Drevlekhranilishche, Moscow, Russia, pp. 209–216.

Guslistova, A. N. (2021), “Problems of identification of the Vologda's people in the scribe and census books of the first half of the XVII century”, Mel'nik, A. G. (ed.), Istoriya i kul'tura Rostovskoi zemli [History and Culture of Rostov Land], Gosudarstvennyi muzei-zapovednik «Rostovskii kreml'», Rostov, Russia, pp. 46–58.

Guslistova, A. N. and Gryaznov, A. L. (2020), “Family trading company of the Frolovs from Vologda in the XVII-XVIII centuries”, Bergovskaya I. N. i dr (ed.), Na puti k gosudarstvam Novogo vremeni: Zapad i Vostok Evropy v kontse XV–XVII veke [On the way to the states of the New Time: West and East of Europe in the late XV-XVII century], [b. i.], Moscow, Russia; Kaluzhskii gosudarstvennyi institut razvitiya obrazovaniya, Kaluga, Russia, pp. 718–738.

Larionova, A. P., Sudakov, G. V. and Chaikina, Yu. I. (ed.) (1979), Delovaya pis'mennost' Vologodskogo kraya XVII – XVIII vv. [Business writing of the Vologda region of the XVII-XVIII centuries], VGPI, Vologda, Russia.

Mel'nik, A. G. (ed.) (2021), Istoriya i kul'tura Rostovskoi zemli [History and culture of Rostov land], Gosudarstvennyi muzei-zapovednik «Rostovskii kreml'», Rostov, Russia.

Kukushkin, I. P. (2018), Vologodskaya krepost' [ Vologda Fortress], Drevnosti Severa, Vologda, Russia.

Bergovskaya, I. N. i dr. (ed.) (2020), Na puti k gosudarstvam Novogo vremeni: Zapad i Vostok Evropy v kontse XV–XVII veke [On the Way to the States of the New Time: West and East of Europe in the late XV-XVII century], [b. i.], Moscow, Russia; Kaluzhskii gosudarstvennyi institut razvitiya obrazovaniya, Kaluga, Russia.

Lapteva, L. P. (1968), “Russian manuscripts in the Slavonic Library in Prague”, Istoriya SSSR, no. 4, pp. 204–206.

Liseitsev, D. V. (2012), “The plight of traders in 1621 and an unknown page of the Time of Troubles”, Smutnoe vremya v Rossii v nachale XVII veka: poiski vykhoda. K 400-letiyu Soveta vseya zemli v Yaroslavle. Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii [The Time of Troubles in Russia at the beginning of the XVII century: the search for a way out. To the 400th anniversary of the Council of all the earth in Yaroslavl. Materials of the International Scientific Conference], Yaroslavl', Russia, 6–9 June 2012, pp. 209–220.

Nazarov, V. D. (ed.) (2017), Predstavitel'nye instituty v Rossii v kontekste evropeiskoi istorii XV – seredina XVII v. [Representative institutions in Russia in the context of European history XV - mid XVII century],Drevlekhranilishche, Moscow, Russia.

Aver'yanov, K. A. (ed.) (2013), Problemy istoricheskoi geografii i demografii Rossii Vyp. 2 [Problems of Historical Geography and Demography of Russia. Issue 2], Institut Rosciiskoi istorii RAN, Moscow, Russia

About the authors

Nikita V. Bashnin, Doctor of Historical Sciences, St. Petersburg Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences, senior researcher, Ilya Repin St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, associate professor, St. Petersburg, Russia, +7-921-447-01-87, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Anatolii L. Gryaznov, Non-Profit Partnership "Research Center "Drevnosti", Research Associate, Vologda, Russia, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Anna N. Guslistova, Non-profit Partnership "Research Center "Drevnosti", Research Associate, Vologda, Russia, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Grant information

The research was supported by the Russian Science Foundation grant No. 20-78-10060-P, https://rscf.ru/project/20-78-10060/

The article was received in the editorial office on 12.11.2023, recommended for publication on 20.03.2024.

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.